Windows 11 is the latest operating system from Microsoft, and it comes with a host of new features and improvements over its predecessor, Windows 10. One of the most important components of any laptop is the touchpad. A touchpad is a built-in pointing device that lets you move the cursor on your screen by swiping your finger on a small touch-sensitive pad. However, sometimes, the touchpad may stop working, and this can be frustrating. In this article, we will show you how to fix the touchpad not working on Windows 11.
The touchpad on Windows 11 has been designed to provide a more intuitive and user-friendly experience for those who prefer to use touch instead of a mouse.
Windows 11 Touchpad Features
The touchpad on Windows 11 has been enhanced to provide a more responsive and natural touch experience. Some of the features include:
- Gestures: Windows 11 touchpad supports a range of gestures that allow you to perform various actions. These gestures include two-finger scrolling, pinch-to-zoom, and swipe to switch between open applications.
- Precision Touchpad: Windows 11 touchpad is a Precision Touchpad that provides smoother and more accurate tracking, making it easier to navigate around the screen.
- Customization: Windows 11 allows you to customize the touchpad settings to suit your needs. You can adjust the sensitivity of the touchpad, enable or disable gestures, and choose the scrolling direction that you prefer.
Using the Touchpad on Windows 11
Now that we've covered the features of the Windows 11 touchpad, let's look at how you can use it to improve your productivity.
- Navigation: The touchpad allows you to navigate around the screen with ease. You can use two fingers to scroll up and down or left and right. You can also use three fingers to switch between open applications.
- Zooming: If you need to zoom in on a specific area of the screen, you can use the pinch-to-zoom gesture. This allows you to zoom in or out by pinching two fingers together or spreading them apart.
- Multitasking: Windows 11 touchpad allows you to perform multiple tasks simultaneously. For example, you can swipe with three fingers to show the Task View, which displays all open applications. You can also use four fingers to swipe between virtual desktops.
- Right-Click: To perform a right-click using the touchpad, you can either click with two fingers or tap the bottom-right corner of the touchpad.
Customizing the Touchpad on Windows 11
As mentioned earlier, Windows 11 allows you to customize the touchpad settings to suit your needs. To access the touchpad settings, follow these steps:
- Click on the Start button and select Settings.
- Click on Devices.
- Click on Touchpad.
- Here you can adjust the sensitivity of the touchpad, enable or disable gestures, and choose the scrolling direction that you prefer.
How to Fix Touchpad Not Working on Windows 11
Check the touchpad settings
The first step in fixing a touchpad that is not working in Windows 11 is to check the touchpad settings. To do this, click on the Start button, then click on Settings. Next, click on Devices and then on Touchpad. Here, you can check if the touchpad is turned on, and you can also adjust the sensitivity and scrolling settings.
Update touchpad driver
If the touchpad settings are correct, but the touchpad still doesn't work, you should try updating the touchpad driver. To do this, right-click on the Start button, then click on Device Manager. Next, locate the touchpad driver in the list of devices, right-click on it, and select Update driver. Windows will automatically search for and download the latest driver for your touchpad.
Reinstall touchpad driver
If updating the touchpad driver didn't work, you should try reinstalling it. To do this, follow the same steps as updating the driver, but this time, select Uninstall device. After the driver has been uninstalled, restart your computer, and Windows will automatically reinstall the touchpad driver.
Check for Windows updates
Sometimes, touchpad issues can be caused by outdated software. To make sure you have the latest updates for Windows 11, click on the Start button, then click on Settings. Next, click on Windows Update and then on Check for updates. If there are any updates available, download and install them.
Disable and enable touchpad
If none of the above methods worked, you can try disabling and then enabling the touchpad. To do this, press the Windows key + X, then click on Device Manager. Next, locate the touchpad driver in the list of devices, right-click on it, and select Disable device. After a few seconds, right-click on the touchpad driver again and select Enable device.
Perform a system restore
If the touchpad was working fine before but suddenly stopped working, you can try performing a system restore. This will restore your computer to a previous state when the touchpad was working correctly. To perform a system restore, click on the Start button, then type “system restore” in the search bar. Click on Create a restore point, then click on System Restore. Follow the instructions to restore your computer to its previous state.
Check for hardware issues
If none of the above methods worked, it's possible that there is a hardware issue with your touchpad. You should check if the touchpad is properly connected to your computer. If you're not sure how to do this, you can take your laptop to a professional technician who can diagnose and fix any hardware issues.
The touchpad on Windows 11 is a great tool for improving your productivity. With its range of gestures and customization options, you can navigate around the screen with ease and perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
A touchpad not working in Windows 11 can be a frustrating issue, but it can usually be fixed with some simple troubleshooting steps. By checking the touchpad settings, updating or reinstalling the touchpad driver, checking for Windows updates, disabling and enabling the touchpad, performing a system restore, and checking for hardware issues, you should be able to fix most touchpad issues in Windows 11.
- How to Fix “Windows cannot access the specified device” in Fortnite - November 25, 2023
- What You Need to Know About Earning Money Through Online Games - November 24, 2023
- How to Fix Klarna Not Working - November 21, 2023